We all experience negative influences in our life. Critical words, hurtful actions, and the effects of a judgmental spirit. We can still hear those words and feel the emotions that were triggered. Those words and actions can keep us in spiritual, emotional and mental bondage. These words and actions can be described as a curse.
The reality, however, is that some words and actions have been intentional, while others haven’t been.
It is up to us what we believe or accept. The Proverbs teach us that an undeserved curse doesn’t have to have an ongoing influence in our lives.
# Like a fluttering sparrow or a darting swallow, an undeserved curse will not come to rest. – 26:2.
If we don’t give a curse a landing place, it can’t land!
Baalam learnt this truth when he was hired to pronounce curses over Israel, on their onward march to the promised land. It was impossible for him to have any power over a people God had blessed. His response to his employers was, How can I curse those whom God has not cursed?
From another angle, we need to understand how our own actions may impact someone in a counterproductive way. What we intend as a blessing, may be taken as a curse.
# If a man loudly blesses his neighbour early in the morning it will be taken as a curse! – 27:14
From the perspective of the giver, intention and timing have to be taken into account, to make sure the intended blessing isn’t cancelled out.
There are two simple messages in these two Proverbs.
- Don’t give a curse somewhere to land. It can’t operate if it has no landing space.
- Clarify our intention and timing when we are desiring to bless someone.
Remember, if our God and Father has blessed us, it is impossible for a curse to have power over us.
# Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly realms. – Ephesians 1:3
May you experience something of this blessing in your life today.
- Father, we thank and praise you for your promise of blessing for us today.
- Empower us to reject any undeserved negative words or actions that have been brought to us and break their power over us.
- Bless us with discernment as we seek to impart a blessing today.
- Bless our state this week with fresh hope for the future.
- We pray that we will see many people turn to you in this time of crisis.
- We claim your blessing in our lives and church and claim your promise of every spiritual blessing. AMEN
SONG: Bless the Lord O my soul…10,000 Reasons by David Wesley (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWUbgeD6pMI)